Monday, June 8, 2015

Anonymous: Science Resources Just a Dream in Mississippi


Today, we have a piece written by an anonymous middle-level science teacher in Mississippi that tells a haunting tale about how Mississippi students lack even the most basic science resources. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teaching science concepts to youngsters is not easy.  What helps me though, is having a fully-equipped science lab to run experiments with my students. We finish our book studies in the “classroom” side, on paper-strewn desks. Then, we grab a clipboard and enter the adventurous hands-on zone. Armed with safety goggles and curious minds, we see science come to life!  With so much potential at my fingertips, I can’t help but to have high expectations for myself, and I start to eat, breathe, and sleep science education.  

That’s all just my dream. My students don’t actually get to learn that way. Money’s tight and other content areas get most of the focus in our state.  So instead, I unravel the mysteries of the universe from the confines of the smallest classroom on my hall. There’s barely enough room for the desks, much less tables for experimentation. There are no sinks or wash stations, so no incredibly exciting activities are allowed, and water has to be transported in from the bathrooms down the hall. We do our best.

So instead of dreaming big with my instruction, my teacher brain is always working on Plan B’s and make-do’s for my students: How can I give my kids real, engaging experiences without the resources? Some say the answer is technology. Where you can’t take your kids in the real world, take them online. And that’s true! Virtual labs are some great new resources for science teachers in which kids can basically watch videos and at least get a feel for what their counterparts in other states are experiencing.

Actually assigning a virtual lab on a regular basis?  Now- that’s difficult for me- I don’t have student computers that live in my room.  I have the option to sign up to use school-wide iPad carts and computer labs. However, as you can imagine, those are in high demand, especially now that state testing is done on computer.  I’ve also found many of the virtual labs and simulations don’t work on iPads anyway, because they run on Flash, which doesn’t work on Apple products. So usually, this is what we actually do: my classes and I watch virtual labs on a projector screen, as I walk them through the process on my work computer. They do their best to imagine what it’s like to do the experiments.

Of course, I could assign virtual labs for kids to do at home, but not all kids have access to the technology they need.  Also, this option requires students to complete their science labs without me present, which can defeat the entire point of learning in a helpful environment.  As our kids struggle to compete with students from other states, I feel like our mission for science education in Mississippi is not “Be the best,” but “Just do your best.” Without full funding, we teachers try to make do, but there’s no escaping the fact that inadequate resources are giving our kids a second-class science education. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about you? What is your story? Are you a public school educator in Mississippi with a unique perspective you would like to share? How does funding affect your students and your goals to educate them? First year teachers and veterans, administrators and support staff, writers and non-writers, celebrities and anonymous submissions alike, fresh perspective is what we're looking for! Let us know if you'd like to impact Mississippi education! 

CALL TO ACTION:
Email showandtellms@gmail.com for more information! 
Check out the guidelines for writing here.

Make your voice heard! 



Disclaimer: The blog entries shared here are individual works that do not necessarily represent the ideas and opinions of the Show and Tell administrators. 

2 comments:

  1. You tell it like it is. Admin was shocked that my room was too small and too cold. It took holding a meeting there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand your frustration with lack of funding and support from your administration, as I teach science and social studies to 85-90 fourth graders during four blocks. Recently, at the end of this school year, our new administrator assigned me to a much smaller classroom saying my larger room was needed for music. I now have 25 desks in one classroom, with barely enough room to get around in there. Everyone who knows me was shocked for me to have to move to a smaller room as I have always used my large classroom efficiently for student presentations, projects, and museums. However, I will still strive to incorporate my love of science and student explorations in any way possible, but I also need up-to-date resources...not just a larger classroom...Mississippi needs to support Ballot Initiative 42 to fully fund MAEP and with that, maybe we teachers would get the resources and money to help us help students succeed...

    ReplyDelete